Thoughts on Google My Map

   

 Google My Maps is a fairly intuitive GIS platform with limited, but useful tools. I have used this and other GIS platforms in the past. Still, the tutorial was able to show me some functions that I had not used before like setting the map default and custom-coloring the place markers. I found adding detail to the place markers to be easy yet very helpful in making the user experience much more robust. 
    The option of importing layer data is a very helpful option. However, the Arc GIS platform wins here with its option to browse and search Living Atlas Layers. Still, Google My Maps is a great choice for class projects that benefit from a GIS component. In the past, I've had students use the area function to assess land cover types on campus. Some student (high school level) were able to produce highly detailed maps while others struggled with the basics. Still, Google My Maps is a good choice as an introduction to GIS and is just robust enough to be worth the time for straightforward projects among more experienced GIS users.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plant Identification Apps: Which is right for you iNaturalist of LeafSnap?

Bird Identification: Audubon's Bird ID - worth flocking toward.

Proposed Study Site